Sunday, August 9, 2009

An excerpt from "Man Falls From Sky"

I can make it, I can make it, I- I have got to get some goggles.

Stanley Jones forced himself into the most aerodynamic pose a humanoid figure could manage, and, closing his eyes, hoped he was heading in mostly the right direction. People think I circle around when I'm about to land because I'm showing off, but I'm just trying to orient myself after flying ten miles as fast as I can in mayfly season. Bad enough someone photographed me spitting out feathers last week.

Which is how he flew headfirst into a gaping dimensional portal without noticing it had suddenly appeared in front of him.

"Ha! Did you see that?!" Dr. Venom leapt in the air and kicked with glee. "The dumb bastard flew right into it!"

Sheila Wentworth, gossip column "journalist", superhero's friend-with-benefits, mostly of the story kind, and current hostage, was shocked. How did Stanley miss seeing that?! she screamed to herself. That idiot, I better not be late to the Musak Awards tonight!

While normal human flight is achieved by large aerodynamic forms of a mechanical nature, Stanley Whitaker, or The Champion as he was referred to in the popular press (Superdude in the Post and Herald) flew by conveniently disobeying the laws of physics, at least the ones in his own universe. In the one he had just entered, more related to our own but still a few veils of reality away, the laws of physics were far less forgiving.

Which is how he suddenly found himself without the ability to fly.

"Shit!" was what he managed to get out before he hit. From a distance his impact was rather impressive. As well as knocking down an old oak tree along the way, his body carved a several hundred yard-long ditch across several acres of Ohio corn, spraying cobs and stalks in every direction.

As startling and confusing this was to Stanley this was very cool to Toby Banks, a twelve year-old with an active imagination. An imagination which had just taken a back seat to a man traveling at Mach speed abruptly appearing in mid-air and plowing into his backyard.

No comments: